Earn this Summer with DOLE's Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES)

Special Program for the Employment of Students Now on Its 20th Year

Summer break is a time when high school and college students have nothing to worry about. Some students though, choose to be productive during this summer season. With this, the Department of Labor and Employment provided students a chance to be able to earn with the creation of the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES).

Mandated under RA 7323, the program intends to develop the potentials of poor but deserving students to finish their education by engaging in employment during summer vacations and Christmas breaks. The program was later amended under RA 9574 which took effect April of 2009. Participants to this program are assigned to work in SPES-registered private establishments, government institutions and departments. Work duration is a minimum of 20 days but not more than 52 days. Participants are entitled to at least a minimum wage. Of this, 60% is paid by the employer; 40% is paid by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

SPES started in February 6, 1992. This year, the Department of Labor and Employment is celebrating the 20th year of this program. As part of our celebration, we are encouraging students who are interested and qualified to avail of said program, for them to experience and develop skills through employment.

Well, who knows? Lucky applicants might be able to get a job that deals with logos design, and they could have the chance to land a good job with Logo Design Works.

Who can apply for the program?

  • The program is open to High school and college students, and Out-of-School Youths provided they are between 15-25 years old.
  • Combined net income of both parents after taxes have been deducted, must not be more than the latest annual regional poverty threshold level for a family of six as set by the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) or P36,000 per annum.
  • Must have an average passing grade from the latest term taken immediately preceding the summer vacation.
  • Dropouts who wish to continue their education, provided they have average passing grade on their latest term taken.
  • With displaced or about-to-be-displaced parents provided they qualify for a, b and c.

What are the Requirements?

1. Duly-filled up registration form (3 copies) with ID pictures attached and attested by the school principal or registrar.

2. Any of the following to verify age:

·Birth certificate

·Form 138 where date of birth is determined

·Joint affidavit of two disinterested parties on the age of the applicant.

3. Any of the following to verify student’s grade:

·Form 138

·Certification by School Registrar or School Principal that student has a passing average

·Certified True Copy of the student’s class card

4. Latest Income Tax Return of the Parents/ Certification from employer that parent(s) are displaced or about to be displaced.

Students and Out-of-School Youths may apply at Department of Labor and Employment Regional Office XII, from Mondays-Fridays or to the Public Employment Services Office (PESO) in their respective municipalities.


dong ho said…
first time to hear about this project. big time help for those who are determined.
onyxx said…
*sigh* i wish this program was around when i really needed a job back in college. it would have saved me from boredom during vacation (plus the dough, of course -- that would have meant a lot) :)

Popular posts from this blog

My Two Cents on Sharing Fake News and Plagiarism and Journalism

My First Attendance to a Muslim Wedding

The First Ever Traditional B'laan Wedding Ritual I Witnessed