Love Sonnet XVII

by Pablo Neruda

I don't love you as if you were the salt-rose, topaz
or arrow of carnations that propagate fire:
I love you as certain dark things are loved,
secretly, between the shadow and the soul.
I love you as the plant that doesn't bloom and carries
hidden within itself the light of those flowers,
and thanks to your love, darkly in my body
lives the dense fragrance that rises from the earth.
I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where,
I love you simply, without problems or pride:
I love you in this way because I don't know any other way of loving
but this, in which there is no I or you,
so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand,
so intimate that when I fall asleep it is your eyes that close.

----------------------------------------------------

Have you ever had a chance to watch Patch Adams? He is the funny guy doctor who has this great concern for the patients of a certain hospital, the Gesundheit Institute, giving his services free to those who need it. And this poem he offered to the one he loved.



What can you say about the poem? Very romantic eh?

Comments

Hi Sheng. I LOVE Neruda. If you haven't seen it, watch Il Postino. ;)
ms firefly said…
i love patch adams. shed tears actually.

the book, awww, hit me on the head please!!! i totally forgot! but i have a few books left on the coffee shop, when you have time to drop by there, feel free to pick one you like best. :)

thank you for all the help, it was a crazy last week in gensan for me, ask my friends, i almost never slept on the last night, i had to finish packing before my flight the next day. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Warning! Allergic Reactions Appear

Famous Cultural Landmark in Surallah, South Cotabato

The First Ever Traditional B'laan Wedding Ritual I Witnessed